|Attention Property Owners|
Attention Property Owners
The Fairbanks North Star Borough Assessment Notices have been mailed to all owners of real property in the borough. The Assessment Notice is NOT a tax bill, but rather a summary statement showing the value of the land and all improvements on the land. For more information please read the complete document.
|Property Exemption Information|
DO YOU NEED A BREAK ON PROPERTY TAXES?
DID YOU OWN YOUR HOME PRIOR TO JANUARY 1, 2019?
Do you reside on your property as your primary residence and permanent place
of abode? If so, don’t forget to complete and return to the Assessor’s office prior
to April 1, 2019, the homeowner residential tax exemption application that is on
the bottom half of your notice of assessed value. Read the informational document here
The Assessing Department is responsible for assessing the value of all properties within the Fairbanks North Star Borough boundaries, and administers all State and Borough exemptions as set forth in State Statutes and Borough Code. The department also maintains property records information, which includes ownership, address, assessed value, and property descriptions. Assessing has two primary missions;
1.Administer a property assessment that is fair, uniform, and equitable by employing the following eight procedures:
- Locate and identify all taxable property within each taxing jurisdiction
- Inventory the quantity, quality, and important characteristics of all taxable property
- Accurately estimate the market value of each taxable property
- Determine the extent of tax ability of each property
- Calculate the taxable value(s) for each property
- Timely notify the owner(s) of the assessed value
- Respond to inquiries regarding methods and values; Governing Laws and Regulations
- Prepare and certify the official assessment roll of the entire Borough
2.Provide up-to-date information about assessment and related property matters, a service grown in importance to the community over the years.